Savoury Stuffed Eggplants

Wow! I can't believe how long it has been since I last posted a recipe. I am sorry, there really isn't a very good excuse. I haven't been cooking a lot and to be honest I haven't been feeling very inspired by life. I have been craving some ME time and it has me struggling with work and anything structured really. I just want to relax at the beach! Oh Wait! Maybe that is just Summer calling my name!!

Oddly enough I don't cook a lot despite the abundance of amazing produce around, I usually just eat a lot of fruit and what not in the summer. I did go to a market today though and soon I will share some photos of my garden which is slowly coming along.

This is a really easy and really tasty recipe that will make even the most skeptic people eggplant lovers!
Its kind of more of a method, as my measurements as you should know by now aren't the most accurate!



First I sliced 2 medium sized eggplants in half, then I sliced them into a cross hatch pattern through the flesh but leaving the skin intact (like you might cut an avocado before you scoop it out) then sprinkle in with salt and place it flesh side down on a cookie sheet for about 10 minutes. In the mean time dice a good sized onion fairly finely and begin to saute with some fresh thyme. A sprig or two, whatever suits you best! once the onion is softened add a diced tomato and reduce the heat add enough bread crumbs to hold this mixture together.  Before you add the tomatoes take the eggplants out of the oven and turn them over, let them roast with the squares facing up, this will allow them to open giving you lots of space to stuff the stuffing into, put back into the oven! Allow the stuffing to cool and add in about 100 grams of feta cheese crumbled (I bought a container that had 400 g, and I used about a quarter of it) You could add more or less if you like, then remove the eggplant from the oven once again and stuff the filling in to each nook and cranny and allow it to overfill, toss the whole lot back in the oven and allow the crumb mixture to get nice 'gratin-ed' and the eggplant to be nice and soft. All the flavors blend together and it is so good. I served it along side some 'raw' pasta aka julienne zucchini with pesto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment